Cancer is a not a new word. Anyone, anytime can face this deadly disease. Nowadays, successful treatments such as surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy and much more are possible for this fatal disease. But, do we know that these treatments have huge side effects on our body? Well, yes! These expensive cancer treatments affect our healthy tissues and organs. Thus, it makes our body fragile.
Now, here are a few questions that have definitely arrived in your mind in “What are the major side effects of cancer treatment?” The answer is straightforward and mentioned in the points below:-
- Swelling: – It also referred as Edema. In this, fluid builds up in body tissues during some chemotherapy, which leads to swelling in multiple body parts especially in ankles, hands, and face. Irregular heartbeat or shortness in breathing can also occur.
- Hair Loss: – Generally, it’s known as Alopecia and most common problem during cancer treatment. Due to chemotherapy or radiation therapy, hair of the head, eyebrow, and other parts of the body usually fall out.
- Anemia: – Long-term cancer treatment can create the problem in bone marrow due to which anemia can be experienced by patients. This problem directly affects red blood cells of the body. Some of its symptoms are regular headaches, faint, pale skin and a lot more.
- Changes in Skin and Nails: – Most of the time patients complained about itching and rashes. In strong therapies, such problems are very common. Skin becomes dry and feels just like sunburn. Even, nail changes into yellow or dark. Sometimes, they also crack and hurt a lot.
- Vomiting: – Vomiting is common during the treatment. But, this can be of different types like anticipatory, acute, delayed and more. And the best part is doctors can control this issue through drugs.
- Urinary and Bladder Problems: – Only a few people know that long-term treatment of cancer can damage bladder cells and kidneys. Urination problem or blood in urine can be seen in this. Also, it increases the risk of a urinary tract infection.
Before summing up, you must know cancer treatment is very expensive because treatment has to be done for multiple months. Above issues can occur for the long-term duration or short-term duration of treatment. But, these issues can be resolved if treatment is done under the supervision of specialists in the best cancer hospital. So, make sure you don’t take your health for granted and take some immediate action to resolve the problem.
Source by Lakhwinder Singh