In the day to day busy schedule most people tend to follow an unhealthy lifestyle that causes serious health disorders. Some of them may even have life threatening consequences, such as heart diseases and stroke. However, noticing the warning sign at an early stage and getting proper treatment accordingly can bring back your health on track. This is a dangerous heart disease in this regard where a patient may require immediate treatment depending on its type. Acupuncture is one of the efficacious treatment procedures.
What happens in Atrial Fibrillation?
The disease alters the regular heart rate and makes it beat faster. Here, the two upper chambers of the heart known as atria tend to lose coordination with the lower chambers known as ventricles. Due to this, the blood cannot be pumped out efficiently, resulting in clotting in the heart. The clots can eventually reach different organs through the arteries. The clots can restrict and even block blood supply to the affected organs and cause serious damage to those organs.
Different Types of Atrial Fibrillation
Based on the duration and causes of irregular heartbeats atrial fibrillation can be divided into four types:
- Paroxysmal fibrillation is defined as an episode when the irregular heartbeats last for less than a week with or without medical intervention. It is also called intermittent AF. Such episodes of fast heart rates can occur a few times throughout the year making it difficult to diagnose.
- Persistent fibrillation refers to the condition in which the heart rate remains abnormal for more than a week but less than 12 months. The heart rate does not go back to normal unless the patient gets proper treatment.
- Long-standing fibrillation refers to the stage at which the chaotic heartbeat stays for more than 12 months.
- Permanent fibrillation occurs when such condition remains for an indefinite time period.
What factors cause Atrial fibrillation?
These factors range from alcohol addiction to some other heart diseases from which a patient is already suffering. The primary factors responsible for causing atrial fibrillation are:
- Congenital heart diseases
- Coronary or blocked arteries
- High blood pressure
- Defects in heart valves
- Previous heart attack
- A hyperactive thyroid gland
- Excessive addiction to caffeine, tobacco and alcohol
- Sleep apnea
- Too much stress
Diagnosis of Atrial Fibrillation
Several symptoms indicate the possibility:
- Irregular heartbeat and fluttering in chest
- Shortness of breath, dizziness and anxiety
- Constant fatigue and easy tiredness
- Sweating and pain inside the chest
Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation Using Acupuncture
Current regimes for the treatment of atrial fibrillation have not generated satisfactory results for AF. Several reports from China and other countries have shown that acupuncture works faster and more efficacious for atrial fibrillation due to stress, imbalanced hormones and nervous system, especially for AF related with sleep apnea, insomnia, too much stress and menopause. Usually the treatment contains 10-12 sessions. Acupuncturists insert fine needles into some points on the back, chest, and the arm to achieve the anti-arrhythmic effects. It is also worth noting that acupuncture is less expensive than the conventional methods and has no side effects. Acupuncture for atrial fibrillation can also help improve the circulation to your heart muscles to prevent the heart failure and blood clots in the future.
Source by Li Zheng