After taking classes from other instructors, it is decided that the next step in your personal advancement is to become an instructor and start a belly dancing business.
The operation of a belly dance studio requires daily attention to students needs and desires.
In the beginning are the owner’s ideas of making money learned from previous experiences from other dance studios. There is nothing wrong with this, however; it will be temporary.
Immediate income is from students taking classes. A basic beginners course and different levels of classes to advance skills will keep students continuing the course to its completion. After the basic course students may leave.
What can you do to keep students attending and continuing an income?
- Specialty classes – these classes may be taught by self or hire other instructors.
- Props of sword, cane, tambourine, candelabra, candles, and veil. These classes may range from a couple of hours or taught as a weekend event.
- Zills and drumming – these are the basic percussion instruments which belly dancers use. Learning about different zill patterns and drum rhythms will help students understand the various rhythms of Middle Eastern music.
- Teach in-home private instruction and offer demonstrations at schools and other types of women’s organizations.
- Hire self out for national and international seminars as an instructor and build your brand name.
- Design a website page and keep it active with information. Include an application for attending classes or hiring a performer.
- Teach basics, techniques, and psychology of entertaining at private parties, restaurant dancing, and stage performances to students who want to become professional performers.
- Sell services of dancers for parties, conventions, and organizations for local, national, and international markets.
- Teach costume and accessories construction. These classes not only help students to have custom-made outfits for their selves, but it serves to satisfy their creative and imaginative interest for arts and crafts.
- Designing and assembling jewelry. Making jewelry which the dancer uses are beautiful and many dancers like their jewelry to compliment their costumes correctly.
- There are many other styles of this art form. In the past there were two categories of dances. Today there are nine different styles of belly dancing. It is not possible for one person to teach the nine different styles; hire other instructors. It is critical to offer variety in the dance studio; do not depend on one style.
- Teach or conduct workshops and seminars. Workshop classes are taught in one day. Seminars are conducted over a three-day weekend. Hire national or international instructors.
- Mount a display wall or a mini-shop in the studio and sell all essential costumes, accessories, jewelry, props, and musical items which dancers need or wish to own. Include consignment opportunities.
- Produce online videos and offer online classes.
These money-making ideas may be done one at a time or several may be incorporated
Source by Tricia Deed