Did you know that there are some simple ways in which you can save on your electricity bills substantially? Well, it is those that we are now going to explore. But before embarking on that journey, it is worth taking note of two things. The first of those is the fact that the sums of money you stand to save in this way may not look large in the short run, but cumulatively, they can turn out to be rather huge amounts of money. And the issue of money aside, you also need to keep it in mind that by saving on your electricity usage, you are playing you small part toward the conservation of the environment. And this is important, taking into consideration the kind of environmental crisis the world finds itself in.
Here then, are the six ways through which you can get to save on your electricity bills:
1. Go for power efficient appliances: you should make power efficiency one of your major considerations when looking to purchase appliances. Don’t just go for electric appliances that look most beautiful (but which are merciless power guzzlers). There is nothing wrong with appliance beauty per se, but it should not be the only consideration when making up your mind whether or not to buy an appliance. There are other considerations that need to be made, and one of those is the energy efficiency of the appliances. You may also have to make some courageous choices here – like the choice of ceiling fans over air conditioning systems.
2. Switch off appliances you are not using: it is irrational to keep on electric appliances you are not using (and this includes lighting bulbs). Yet, surprisingly, many of us have this habit of keeping the appliances always buzzing, even when they are not in use, thence costing us dearly – and needlessly – in terms of power usage.
3. Keep your electric appliances well serviced: when electric appliances go for long without being serviced, they become energy inefficient and prone to break downs. Avoid both situations by ensuring that the appliances are properly and regularly serviced as per the instructions on their packaging
4. Make your electric bill payments in good time: otherwise you stand to suffer the penalties that most power companies impose on those who make a habit of delaying in their bill repayment. These are unnecessary penalties, which you need not suffer, if only you can organize yourself just a little bit better. Nowadays, most power companies have systems where power users can make their bill payments online or through their phones, and there is absolutely no reason as to why anyone should suffer such penalties late payment penalties in this day and age.
5. Use energy saving features on your appliances: here we talking about things like the ‘sleep’ features on computers. The amounts of money you stand to save, in the long run, through consistent use of such features is simply amazing.
6. Go fluorescent: fluorescent bulbs are arguably the most energy efficient of all bulbs. Yet they don’t cost substantially more than the other types of bulbs. Through their consistent use, you can find yourself having saved considerable sums of money you could have otherwise given out to the electricity generation company.
Source by Graham H Smith